The One Day Homeless Count is less than two weeks away, and we are still seeking more volunteers to participate. The Count is on February 24, 2022 and will take place from approximately 5am to 10am. Volunteers help collect information that will assist with planning and program development related to homeless services. On the morning of the Count, volunteers will be matched with another volunteer and will drive and/or walk around their designated area together to conduct an observational count of people experiencing unsheltered homelessness.
Participating in the Count involves attending a virtual training before the Count. There are multiple trainings to choose from, scheduled through Saturday Feb 19th, and one final training on Tuesday Feb 22nd in the morning. When you register to volunteer, you will select your preferred training session.
Please sign up here: https://forms.office.com/g/ng6khJqzXH.
The safety of all volunteers and participants is of upmost importance. We will continue to monitor the current circumstances in our community and follow our local health guidance as we plan to host the Count at this later date. The Count will have COVID-19 safety protocols in place, including:
- Trainings will be offered virtually via Zoom
- All volunteers will be required to wear a face covering throughout the event
- Volunteers will be required to pass a COVID-19 symptom screening
- Face coverings, hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes will be provided at each deployment site
- Deployment sites will be set up with an outdoor check-in area and the number of people indoors at a given time will be minimal
- Volunteers will only be assisting with the observational count of individuals experiencing unsheltered homelessness; volunteers will not be conducting a survey this year
- Volunteers can request to partner with a household member and/or partner of their choice.
- Note: Both volunteers will need to attend a training and sign up for the same deployment site. At least one volunteer in the pair will need to be able to drive and at least one of the pair will need to use their mobile device.
In addition, please share this opportunity with your colleagues, community partners, friends and family who may be interested in participating. For more information on the One Day Homeless Count, including a volunteer flyer that can be shared, please visit: https://hsa.smcgov.org/2022-one-day-homeless-count.
Thank you for your continued support to make the One Day Homeless Count a successful event.
If you have any further questions, please email HSA_OneDayCount@smcgov.org.