The Daly City Public Library has four locations to serve you. Materials, including books, DVDs, CDs, audiobooks, and magazines, are available for browsing and borrowing from all four locations.
A library card is required to check out materials and to access certain online databases and services.
For more information, view our full Library Card Policy (PDF).
To obtain a free library card, visit one of the branches, fill out the short application form, and present photo identification and proof of current address. Children under the age of 14 must have a parent or guardian sign their application and present identification and proof of current address.
Learn how to apply for a card.
If you lose your library card, tell the library immediately because you are responsible for all items checked out to your card.
Your library card gives you borrowing privileges at all of the 30 public libraries in San Mateo County, all of which are members of the Peninsula Library System (PLS). Always bring your library card with you when you visit the library. Other PLS libraries may have different loan policies which affect their materials even if they are checked out from the Daly City Public Library.
Loan Periods & Renewing Materials
Most materials are loaned for 21 days, and may be renewed up to five times for an additional 21 days each. Items with holds cannot be renewed.
You can renew library materials:
- Via app: Download the PLS Library app from Apple or Google Play.
- Via telephone: Call the library at 650-991-8023
- Via text: Sign up for short message service. For more information, view Text Alerts.
- Via the Web: You can renew by accessing your Library Account through the Online Catalog. Select Total Items for the list of items you currently have checked out.
You can return borrowed materials to any of the 30 PLS libraries. Book drops are available outside all Daly City libraries so that you can return items after-hours.
If you lose an item, you will be charged for the replacement cost plus a $5 processing fee.
Materials Recovery Agency Fees
Outstanding balances on your library account may be referred to a materials recovery agency. In such a case, a $10 processing fee will be added.
- Catalog - You can search our catalog, place items on hold, and check your library account from any computer with Internet access by visiting our Online Catalog.
- Place Items on Hold - You can place an item on hold and/or have it delivered from another PLS library to the library of your choice free of charge.
- Receive Notifications - You can sign up to receive library messages including overdue notices and notification of the availability of items you have placed on hold by e-mail. To request e-mail notification, access your Library Account through the Online Catalog, click on the My Settings link, then enter your current e-mail address.
- Request Items - You can request the purchase of a particular item or material on a particular subject matter for inclusion in our collection. All requests are reviewed by a librarian.